Did you know your metabolic health is one of the most important factors in your overall well-being? It encompasses various factors, including blood sugar, cholesterol and hormone levels, weight, blood pressure, and more. All of this is, of course, impacted by several lifestyle factors, like diet, exercise, stress, and more.
Since there are so many influencing factors, meeting wellness and health goals can be challenging. How do you know whether your carbohydrate intake is best for your body? What macronutrients benefit your nutrition needs? What about the impact of sleep and stress on your metabolic health?
There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to wellness. So it helps to understand what markers will support informed lifestyle choices that work for your individual needs.
Luckily, several startups and wellness companies, including Nutrisense, offer a variety of wearables, apps, and programs to help out. Many give you data insights into your metabolic health, so you can experiment, learn, discover, and meet your individual goals.
But with so many options to choose from, it can be tough to know which program is really worth your time.
In this article, we’ll provide a side-by-side comparison of Nutrisense and Lumen. The two companies use very different technology to produce data about different aspects of metabolic health.
- At Nutrisense, you can learn more about how your glucose readings and variability in your glucose responses may impact your health. Using continuous glucose monitor technology, you get real-time information on how your glucose responds to various lifestyle factors. You can also go beyond glucose alone, working closely with a personal dietitian to explore deeper areas of diet and lifestyle impacting metabolic health.
- Lumen, on the other hand, uses breath analysis technology to determine whether users are burning carbs or fat and to measure someone’s level of metabolic flexibility.
Read on to see why we think Nutrisense’s CGM program comes out on top!
Nutrisense vs. Lumen: A Quick Side-by-Side Comparison
Continuous Glucose Monitor
Breath Analysis Device
Access to app
Access to a registered dietitian
Number of plans
Meal and exercise logging
Personalized nutrition recommendations
1 month FREE Registered Dietitian Support
Price of program
Starts at $225
Starts at $249
Is Lumen Good For Losing Weight?
Lumen provides a tool that measures the C02 levels in your breath to determine the source of your body’s fuel: carbs or fat. They state:
- This daily measurement shows you how flexible your metabolism is, or your body’s ability to switch efficiently between using fats or carbs as energy.
- Lumen uses this data to provide personalized nutrition recommendations and guidance on sleep, diet, and exercise.
- According to Lumen, metabolic flexibility is an important factor in metabolic health, and improving it can lead to easier weight loss and better weight management.
Lumen’s internal studies, along with one study conducted at San Francisco State University, found that the C02 measurements from their device may be comparable to an RER measurement taken by a traditional device in a healthcare laboratory setting.
So, can Lumen actually work? The accuracy of this device is still being debated by scientists, and more research is still needed to determine its accuracy.
How Nutrisense Supports Weight Loss
Many weight loss programs offer one-size-fits-all meal plans and fad diet recommendations. At Nutrisense, weight loss is about more than inches lost, and includes support to help you make sustainable, long-lasting lifestyle changes.
- Nutrisense uses continuous glucose monitor technology to provide insight into how your blood sugar levels respond to diet, exercise, stress, sleep, and other lifestyle factors.
- You get access to one-on-one support from one among a team of credentialed dietitians and nutritionists with various professional specializations, including weight loss.
- Your nutritionists or dietitian will help you interpret your body’s response to food and offer more personalized recommendations, nutrition tips, and more knowledge about carbohydrates, macronutrients, calorie intake, and much more to help tailor your weight loss goals to your specific body.
- The Nutrisense app also offers meal tracking, which can help you see which specific foods impact your blood sugar and how.
Stopped Losing Weight and Don't Know Why?
Download this FREE expert-reviewed, science-backed Guide to learn about weight loss plateaus, how you can break past them, and much more
Why Are More People Choosing Nutrisense?
The Nutrisense program helps you learn more about what your body needs. You not only learn more about your blood sugar levels but also have access to support from a personal dietitian.
Wearables and App Support
When you sign up for the program, you get data insights into your blood glucose without the hassle of a finger-prick from regular blood glucose monitors. With a Nutrisense subscription, you get
- Two continuous blood glucose monitors a month, so you can view fluctuations in your blood sugar 24/7.
- Access to the Nutrisense app, where you can read and track this blood glucose data.
The Dietitian Difference
And, of course, there’s the personalized, in-app support from a team of credentialed nutritionists and dietitians, which Lumen doesn’t offer.
- When you join Nutrisense, you will be matched with a dietitian according to your wellness and health goals.
- The first month of this support is free! After the first month, it’s just a $100 add-on per month.
- Your dietitian will work with you to meet your goals, make personalized nutrition recommendations, and support you as you build healthy habits.
Log your Lifestyle
Unlike Lumen, Nutrisense also allows you to log your meals and snacks, workouts and physical activity, stress levels, and how much you sleep.
- This information helps your dietitian provide personalized recommendations for your specific health goals.
- This data also goes a long way in helping you understand the bigger picture of metabolic health rather than just focusing on a single metric like C02 levels.
Breath Analysis versus Free Dietitian Support
Lumen’s selling point is its breath analysis technology, which uses your breath’s C02 levels to determine whether your body is burning fat or carbs for energy.
However, it’s important to remember that knowing whether you are burning fat or carbs doesn’t necessarily point to a specific solution to weight loss.
As Heather Davis, MS, RDN, LDN, who specializes in neuroendocrine health, explains:
Nutrisense’s selling point, on the other hand, is free dietitian support—all the CGM programs include one month of complimentary dietitian coaching for new members.
- Everyone’s body is different, and metabolic health is determined by various factors. So one-on-one support from a credentialed professional to help interpret your blood glucose data can be an invaluable asset on your wellness journey.
- You can work with your dietitian to establish and keep sustainable health goals that take your “bigger picture” metabolic health factors into account, like nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress.
- After the first month, you can extend this dietitian support for a small additional fee.
Member Testimonials from Nutrisense
Here’s what some Nutrisense members have to say about their journey with the program:
“My main goal was to find what foods worked best for me, so I could ‘tune’ things to my own body. Nutrisense was the best balance of availability and price."
"With the sensor, the Nutrisense app, and the dietitian support, I could better understand what was going on in my body . . . I always tell people: if you’re with Nutrisense, get the dietitian, and go all in."
Roxanne Cardenas Bryant
"Seeing this real-time data from how your body responds to various factors… the data does not lie. It’s so valuable—it can teach us so much about how we can best support ourselves on our wellness journey."
Start Your Wellness Journey with Nutrisense Today!
Nutrisense gives you access to CGM technology so you can view fluctuations in your blood glucose levels, as well as see their response to lifestyle factors like diet, sleep, exercise, and stress.
When you sign up for Nutrisense, you’ll get one month of FREE dietitian support from our team of credentialed dietitians, who can help you interpret this blood glucose data. With the sensor, app, and dietitian coaching, you have the accountability, data, and support you need to make and achieve sustainable wellness goals to support metabolic health.
Other programs, like Lumen, focus on one aspect of metabolic health. At Nutrisense, there’s a more comprehensive approach that considers the importance of various factors of metabolic health.
Ready to take the first step? Start with our quiz to see how Nutrisense can support you on your wellness journey.