Did you know your metabolic health is one of the most important factors in your overall well-being? It encompasses various factors, including blood sugar, cholesterol and hormone levels, weight, blood pressure, and more. All of this is, of course, impacted by several lifestyle factors, like diet, exercise, stress, and more.
Since there are so many influencing factors, meeting wellness and health goals can be challenging. How do you know whether your carbohydrate intake is best for your body? What macronutrients benefit your nutrition needs? What about the impact of sleep and stress on your metabolic health?
There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to wellness. So it helps to understand what markers will support informed lifestyle choices that work for your individual needs.
Luckily, several startups and wellness companies, including Nutrisense, offer a variety of wearables, apps, and programs to help out. Many give you data insights into your metabolic health, so you can experiment, learn, discover, and meet your individual goals.
But with so many options to choose from, it can be tough to know which program is really worth your time.
In this article, we’ll provide a side-by-side comparison of Nutrisense and Lumen. The two companies use very different technology to produce data about different aspects of metabolic health.
- At Nutrisense, you can learn more about how your glucose readings and variability in your glucose responses may impact your health. Using continuous glucose monitor technology, you get real-time information on how your glucose responds to various lifestyle factors. You can also go beyond glucose, working closely with a personal nutritionist to explore deeper areas of diet and lifestyle that may impact metabolic health.
- Lumen, on the other hand, uses breath analysis technology to determine whether users are burning carbs or fat and to measure someone’s level of metabolic flexibility.
Read on to see why we think Nutrisense’s CGM program comes out on top!
Is Lumen Good For Losing Weight?
Lumen provides a tool that measures the C02 levels in your breath to determine the source of your body’s fuel: carbs or fat. They state:
- This daily measurement shows you how flexible your metabolism is, or your body’s ability to switch efficiently between using fats or carbs as energy.
- Lumen uses this data to provide personalized nutrition recommendations and guidance on sleep, diet, and exercise.
- According to Lumen, metabolic flexibility is an important factor in metabolic health, and improving it can lead to easier weight loss and better weight management.
Lumen’s internal studies, along with one study conducted at San Francisco State University, found that the C02 measurements from their device may be comparable to an RER measurement taken by a traditional device in a healthcare laboratory setting.
So, can Lumen actually work? The accuracy of this device is still being debated by scientists, and more research is still needed to determine its accuracy.
How Nutrisense Supports Weight Loss
Many weight loss programs offer one-size-fits-all meal plans and fad diet recommendations. At Nutrisense, weight loss is about more than inches lost, and includes support to help you make sustainable, long-lasting lifestyle changes.
- Nutrisense uses continuous glucose monitor technology to provide insight into how your blood sugar levels respond to diet, exercise, stress, sleep, and other lifestyle factors.
- You can access one-on-one support from one among a team of credentialed dietitians and nutritionists with various professional specializations, including weight loss.
- Your nutritionist will help you interpret your body’s response to food and offer more personalized recommendations. Get nutrition tips, knowledge about carbohydrates, macronutrients, calorie intake, and much more—you can choose to work with an expert long-term who will help tailor your weight loss goals to your specific body.
- The Nutrisense app also offers meal tracking, which can help you see which specific foods impact your blood sugar and how.
Why Are More People Choosing Nutrisense?
The Nutrisense program helps you learn more about what your body needs. You not only learn more about your blood sugar levels but also have access to support from a personal nutritionist.
Wearables and App Support
When you sign up for the program, you get data insights into your blood glucose without the hassle of a finger-prick from regular blood glucose monitors. With a Nutrisense subscription, you get
- Two continuous blood glucose monitors a month, so you can view fluctuations in your blood sugar 24/7.
- Access to the Nutrisense app, where you can read and track this blood glucose data.
The Personal Nutritionist Difference
And, of course, there’s the personalized, in-app support from a team of expert nutritionists, which Lumen doesn’t offer.
- When you join Nutrisense, you will be paired with a nutritionist who is trained to help you achieve your goals.
- The first month of this support is free! At any time during or after this period, you can upgrade to the paid add-on for an additional monthly fee.
- Your nutritionist will work with you one-on-one to help you meet your goals, make personalized nutrition recommendations, and support you as you build healthy habits.
Log your Lifestyle
Unlike Lumen, Nutrisense also allows you to log your meals and snacks, workouts and physical activity, stress levels, and how much you sleep.
- This information helps your nutritionist provide personalized recommendations for your specific health goals.
- This data also goes a long way in helping you understand the bigger picture of metabolic health rather than just focusing on a single metric like C02 levels.
Breath Analysis versus Free Nutritionist Support
Lumen’s selling point is its breath analysis technology, which uses your breath’s C02 levels to determine whether your body is burning fat or carbs for energy.
However, it’s important to remember that knowing whether you are burning fat or carbs doesn’t necessarily point to a specific solution to weight loss.
As Heather Davis, MS, RDN, LDN, who specializes in neuroendocrine health, explains:
Nutrisense’s selling point, on the other hand, is the nutritionist support. All the CGM programs include one month of complimentary support access for new members, with weekly check-ins from a credentialed professional.
- Everyone’s body is different, and metabolic health is determined by various factors. So access to this one-on-one support to help interpret glucose data can be an invaluable asset on your wellness journey.
- At any time during or after your complimentary month, you can upgrade to the paid add-on for an additional monthly fee for faster response times and more long-term support.
- You can work with your nutritionist to establish and keep sustainable health goals that take your “bigger picture” metabolic health factors into account, like nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress.
Member Testimonials from Nutrisense
Here’s what some Nutrisense members have to say about their journey with the program:
Start Your Wellness Journey with Nutrisense Today!
Nutrisense gives you access to CGM technology so you can view fluctuations in your blood glucose levels, as well as see their response to lifestyle factors like diet, sleep, exercise, and stress.
When you sign up for Nutrisense, you’ll get one month of FREE nutritionist support from our team of expert nutritionists, who can help you interpret this blood glucose data. With the sensor, app, and nutritionist support, you have the accountability, data, and support you need to make and achieve sustainable wellness goals to support metabolic health.
Other programs, like Lumen, focus on one aspect of metabolic health. At Nutrisense, there’s a more comprehensive approach that considers the importance of various factors of metabolic health.
Ready to take the first step? Start with our quiz to see how Nutrisense can support you on your wellness journey.