Are you wondering what foods you should be eating to add the most nutrition to your diet? Do you want to experiment with ingredients but don't know how to see the way your body responds? Enter nutrition apps, which can help you do all that and more.
Eating healthy can be challenging, but apps can help make it easier. You can find an app to address any dietary or nutrition concern, from inspiration for new recipes to your search for the most nutrient-dense foods.
Learn new ways to meet your weight loss goals, find new favorites, try different diets for your specific needs, or log and track what you eat every day by picking from our list of the best nutrition apps for 2022.
1) Nutrisense App
The Nutrisense app uses cutting-edge technology to help people monitor and manage their health. The app reads data from a continuous glucose monitor to track your blood sugar levels in real-time, so you can assess how various lifestyle factors, including dietary choices, impact your health.
Paired with personalized support from a credentialed dietitian or nutritionist, the app helps you make adjustments based on your body's blood glucose reaction to your foods and the diet you follow. It also enables you to track and monitor additional factors like exercise, sleep, stress, and more, which may also affect nutrition.
In addition, the app provides educational resources about nutrition and health so that people can learn more about how to eat a healthy diet.
- The Nutrisense App allows users to see real-time blood glucose trends from their food and activity choices.
- When you sign up for the Nutrisense CGM Program, you're assigned a credentialed dietitian or nutritionist who will work with you one-on-one to read and understand the data and make lifestyle suggestions based on your nutrition goals.
- Meal tracking allows you to see what foods cause energy crashes, blood sugar spikes, food cravings, and more.
- The Nutrisense app lets you track your daily activity to see how food, sleep, exercise, and stress impact your glucose.
- It also accurately tracks calories and macros from your meals using the Nutritionix database.
- To get the most out of tracking and recording your data, it’s best to have an active sensor on.
The Fooducate app is a free iPhone and Android app that gives users nutrition grades for foods based on their content. It also provides tips on making healthier choices and tracks the user's progress over time.
The app gives each food a grade from A to D based on its nutritional value. Grade A foods are the most nutritious, while grade D foods are the least healthy.
The app also considers factors such as trans fats, added sugars, and artificial ingredients. In addition to giving food grades, the Fooducate app also provides tips on making healthier choices.
- Foods are given ratings, making it easier to differentiate good and bad choices and form new habits.
- The app helps you compare and see similar food products to find a healthier alternative.
- The app helps you to track your lifestyle choices over set periods.
- Fooducate does the calculations of your foods for you.
- To add nutrient counts to your logged food requires you to pay for the upgraded version.
- Grading food may lead to unhealthy approaches to food and nutrition for some.
The Lifesum app is a health and wellness tool designed to help users make mindful, healthy choices every day. It focuses on three main areas: calorie tracking, exercise planning, and sleep schedule.
By taking all of these factors into account, the app helps you to develop balanced and sustainable food habits. Whether you're looking to lose weight or want to make better nutrition choices, Lifesum can help you reach your goals.
- Lifesum provides community-based support.
- The app includes hydration management.
- The app’s food diary is easy-to-use.
- Lifesum includes healthy recipes in its app for its userbase.
- While Lifesum offers a discount initially, the price increases from month to month.
- Lifesum doesn’t offer plans for specialized diets you may want to try, like paleo, according to reviews.
8Fit is a comprehensive fitness and nutrition app that gives users everything they need to get in shape and lead a healthy lifestyle. The app starts by asking users about their goals, then creates a personalized plan to help them reach them.
The plan includes healthy recipes and meal ideas. In addition, it provides expert advice on topics like sleep and stress management.
8Fit also has a built-in tracker that allows users to track their progress. There is a free version of the app with limited features, or users can upgrade to the premium version to access all the features.
- It’s only $60 per year for personalized workouts.
- 8fit encourages different types of fitness and asks if your goal is to lose weight, get fitter, or gain muscle mass.
- Not only can you choose your workout goals, but 8fit will provide you with a meal plan to match.
- 8fit is one of the most personalized fitness apps.
- Reviews state that customer service is slow to respond.
- Reviews report buggy lags and crashes.
5) Carb Manager
The Carb Manager app is a powerful tool for anyone looking to manage their daily carbohydrate intake. Whether you follow a specific diet like keto or paleo or want to keep track of your carb consumption, this app can help you control your diet.
Using advanced formulas and simple-to-use food groupings, the Carb Manager allows you to quickly look up the number of carbohydrates in any food or recipe.
Additionally, the app offers portion control, meal planning features, and other tools to help optimize your diet and improve your overall health.
- Uniquely friendly app for those on a ketogenic diet or looking to learn about and begin a ketogenic diet.
- Carb manager has a macro tracking feature.
- When you sign up for the premium plan, they send you an e-book about keto and low-carb diets.
- The app includes a meal planner.
- There are a lot of features that don’t unlock until you upgrade to the paid version.
The Paleo.io app is a tool that can help people adopt a healthier and more functional diet based on the principles of the paleo lifestyle. This approach focuses on consuming whole, unprocessed foods that are rich in nutrients and naturally good for our bodies.
The Paleo.io app makes it easy to find reliable information about which foods meet these criteria, allowing users to easily plan out healthy meals and snacks without extensive research or consulting a nutritionist.
Whether you are trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy lifestyle, the Paleo.io app can help you along your journey to better health and wellbeing.
- It makes it easy for users to manage a paleo diet.
- The app is free.
- The app helps you learn what foods are paleo-friendly.
- Reviews report a lot of grammatical errors in the app.
7) Lose It!
The Lose It! app is a health and weight loss program that can help people get in shape through healthy eating and regular exercise. The app allows users to enter their personal information, such as height, current weight, exercise level, the foods they eat, and daily activities.
Based on this information, the Lose It! app provides customized recommendations for staying on track with your goals and gives you real-time feedback on your progress.
In addition, the app includes a community of users who can share tips, encouragement, and inspiration as they work toward their health and fitness goals.
- The app allows you to apply personalized macronutrient goals to ensure you’re getting enough protein, carbs, and more.
- The app has a smart camera that can help you log your food.
- This app connects to Google Fit and Apple Health.
- The app doesn’t provide exercise or activity plans.
- The app does not have any meal plans.
Cronometer is a free app that provides a detailed analysis of the nutrients consumed and the calories they burn through physical activity. Cronometer also allows users to set goals and track their progress over time.
The app also provides users with detailed information about the nutrients in their food, including calories, fat, protein, and carbohydrates. Cronometer also includes a community feature, which allows users to connect with other people using Cronometer to reach their health goals.
- Cronometer uses the USDA database to provide nutritional information.
- The app provides macronutrient breakdowns.
- You can link your account to your significant other or fitness buddy’s account.
- To link accounts, you have to pay to upgrade the app.
The Nutritionix app is a tool that helps users track and monitor their daily nutrition intake. Using a simple, user-friendly interface, the app makes it easy for people to search for and record the nutritional content of their food.
Whether you're looking for information about calories, carbohydrates, vitamins, or something else, this powerful tool has everything you need to get accurate and up-to-date data about your diet.
- The app uses Freeform, which allows you to speak into the app to record your foods.
- The app has a Coach Portal that enables you to let your coach, doctor, or dietitian log in to see your food data.
- Nutritionix allows integration with Fitbit and Trak.
- The app will enable you to record nutritional information in addition to calories.
- The comprehensive Nutritionix database is used in the Nutrisense app to track macros alongside glucose responses to food.
- Recent reviews report that the app has become buggy over time and doesn’t work as well as it used to.
Engage with Your Blood Glucose Levels with Nutrisense
Your blood sugar levels can significantly impact how your body feels and functions. That’s why stable blood glucose levels can be an important factor in supporting overall wellbeing.
With Nutrisense, you’ll be able to track your blood glucose levels over time using a CGM, so you can make lifestyle choices that support healthy living.
Ready to take the first step? Start with our quiz to see how Nutrisense can support your health.