- Study completed using data between April 2021 & April 2023
- Participants in the study are those who automatically logged their weight through third-party weight tracking devices & shared these data with Nutrisense. Only those who recorded at least 4 weight measurements that spanned at least one week were included in the study.
- Data were cleaned to exclude outlier weight measurements.
- In total, that was 7356 members. Of those, 5062 recorded weight across at least one month, 3386 across at least two months, and 2361 across at least three months.
- These time periods are based on the first time a member started recording weight data and not since they started at NS. For example, if someone started recording their weight after one month, then they would only be at month 2 of weight data when they were at month 3 of Nutrisense.
- Median starting weight was 185 lbs
Visualize initial weight:
Visualize the weight change by month:
Summary table with numbers:
How to use the columns:
- time_periods = the length of time since a member first started recording weight data (not since they started NS)
- mean_weight_change = the percentage by which the average member changed their weight
- number_of_members = total sample of members in each month grouping
- perc_of_members_lost_weight = the percentage of members that lost any weight at all. If you look at the highest value of lbs list in the ‘weight_lbs_in_best_##perc’ columns, you could combine the two to say (for example, based on three month): “64% of members lost up to 24 lbs after three months.”
- weight_change_in_best_25perc = the range in weight change percent of the best 25% of all members. Here you could say (for month 3): “25% of members lost between 3.9 and 13.2% of their weight by the end of the third month”. This and all following ranges exclude the top 1% for a more conservative estimate that excludes exceptional members. For example, if you look at the boxplot for month one, you can see a point that goes down as far as ~27% weight loss. By excluding the top 1%, we can remove those anomalies and the greatest weight lost seen after the first month is only 6.6%.
- weight_change_in_best_50perc = the range in weight change percent of the best 50% of all members.
- weight_change_in_best_65perc = the range in weight change percent of the top 65% of all members. Used 65%, because if I used 75, it would include members that also gained weight. If I used 70, it includes many members that didn’t gain or lose weight.
- weight_lbs_in_best_##perc = same as the metrics above, but multiplied by the median weight of 185 lbs to show the actual loss in lbs. Here you could say (for 25% month 3): “25% of members lost between 7 and 24 lbs by the end of the third month”
End of first month
End of second month
End of third month
-0.51 to -2.07 %
-2.33 to -6.6 %
-3.25 to -10.11 %
-3.86 to -13.21 %
-0.01 to -2.07 %
-0.93 to -6.6 %
-1.13 to -10.11 %
-1.2 to -13.21 %
0 to -2.07 %
-0.18 to -6.6 %
-0.08 to -10.11 %
0 to -13.21 %
-0.94 to -3.82 lbs
-4.31 to -12.19 lbs
-6.01 to -18.67 lbs
-7.13 to -24.42 lbs
-0.02 to -3.82 lbs
-1.73 to -12.19 lbs
-2.08 to -18.67 lbs
-2.22 to -24.42 lbs
0 to -3.82 lbs
-0.33 to -12.19 lbs
-0.15 to -18.67 lbs
0 to -24.42 lbs
Scroll to see more
Find the right Nutrisense programhealth potential.to help you discover and reach your